Tuesday, January 16, 2018

1600 Florence Villa Gardens - Villa Medicea La Magia for Good Hunting

Villa Medicea La Magia by Giusto Utens (Flemish artist, 1558-1609) who painted a series of 14 glasses of villas & their gardens near Florence

The core of the Villa La Magia Was built in the 14C by the family of Pistoia Panciatichi, on the Ombrone valley on the northern slopes of Monte Albano, a series of hills that marks the southern border of a plain which includes Prato, Pistoia & Florence itself. 

In the painting, the buildings surrounding the residence, together with the characters enliven the picture & underline the rural nature of the place. In front of the residence some noblemen are playing tennis, while in the foreground deer hunting prevails. The grounds were alive with game. On December 1595, Ferdinando I wrote to his wife, the Duchess Christina of Lorraine: "Today I had a Good hunting, and i had the time of my life, and I am sending you a great cart with eleven pigs, Because The cart Could not carry more. "